New Year’s Resolutions
According to the Centers for Disease control, owning a pet can help you keep some of those New Year’s resolutions, especially the ones about exercise. For example, taking your dog for a 30-minute walk every day will provide health benefits for both of you. According to the Mayo Clinic, a 30-minute walk every day will help you:
- Reduce health risks such as obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, stroke, certain cancers and osteoporosis.
- Manage chronic conditions, such as high blood pressure and chronic muscle pain.
- Keep off excess weight.
- Ward off viral illnesses by boosting your immune system.
- Keep your arteries clear, helping to increase “good” cholesterol and decrease “bad” cholesterol.
- Strengthen your heart.
- Improve your mood by reducing tension and promoting relaxation.
- Increase your stamina.
Your dog will benefit from daily walks as well, getting:
- positive attention from you.
- mental stimulation by experiencing new sights and smells along the way.
- the opportunity to develop bathroom habits.
- an outlet for excess energy that can improve bad behavior resulting from boredom.
- the exercise necessary to lead a long, healthy life — just like humans.
- opportunities for socialization by meeting up with other humans and animals.
Regular walks with your dog will also give you both ample opportunities for bonding and practicing your training regime.
This year, we resolve to do everything we can to help you and your pets lead happy, healthy lives. Just mention this New Year’s blog post the next time you come into The Animal Store and get 15% off a new leash or harness* for your pet.
We hope you will resolve to visit us often. Leave a comment and let us know about your other resolutions.
Posted on January 3, 2009, in Animals, Discounts, Pet Information, Pets, The Animal Store and tagged 15% off, Dogs, Exercise, Health, Holidays, Pet Health, Pets and Their Humans. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.