Forget the Zhu Zhu Pet
The hottest toy this year may be the Zhu Zhu pet hamster, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the real thing. John Kass recently wrote in his Chicago Tribune column that “Evil fake hamsters don’t deserve a place under the tree”. Children will “learn nothing about life from a fake hamster,” said Kass. “A fake hamster can’t love. Their cuddles are cold and empty.”
According the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, children raised with pets show many benefits:
- “A child who learns to care for an animal, and treat it kindly and patiently, may get invaluable training in learning to treat people the same way.”
- “Taking care of a pet can help children develop social skills.”
- “Developing positive feelings about pets can contribute to a child’s self-esteem and self-confidence.”
- “Positive relationships with pets can aid in the development of trusting relationships with others.”
- “A good relationship with a pet can also help in developing non-verbal communication, compassion and empathy.”
These are just a few of the benefits that owning a real pet can provide to children. Hamsters are, in fact, good first pets and our staff can help you learn everything you need to know about buying and owning a real, live hamster for your family.
- CritterTrail Starter Habitat with quiet exercise wheel, water bottle and food dish, with expandability ports to add on accessories
- hamster treats
- and a REAL live young hamster — that you get to name yourself!
Everything you need for family fun all for just $50.
Come in and ask what pet is right for you and your family. And leave a comment to tell us how caring for a real life pet changed your life.
Posted on December 2, 2009, in Animal Store Staff, First Pets, Pet Supplies, Pets, The Animal Store and tagged children, Health, Pets and Holidays, Pets and Their Humans, Pets in the News, Small Mammals, Zhu Zhu pet. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.