FAQ Friday 2: What kind of hamsters do you carry?
There are so many furry, friendly hamsters at The Animal Store that it’s hard to keep them straight, so I asked the staff for some info. They wanted me to tell you that our stock varies, but here are the varieties we usually carry.
Roborovski(i) Hamsters (Phodopus roborovskii)
- aka Desert Hamster
- smallest of the dwarf hamsters (about 2 inches long)
Siberian Hamsters (Phodopus sungorus)
- aka Winter White Russian Hamster, Djungarian Hamster, Dzungarian dwarf hamster, Sapphire Winter White Russian Dwarf hamster,
- size (about 3-4 inches long)
Note: We do not carry Chinese Hamsters (Cricetulus griseus) (recognizable by their long tails)
Standard (Syrian) Hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus)
- aka Golden hamsters (common tan and white); Fancy hamsters (any color other than golden); Teddy Bear or Longhair hamsters (any hamster with long hair, any color).
- size (about 6-7 inches long)
Black Bear Hamsters
- aka European Black Bear hamsters, Black Syrian hamsters
- a variety of Syrian hamster, with black fur and white masks and paws; tend to be a bit larger than other Syrian hamsters.
Come visit our hamsters (and me, Ernie, the Giant Gourami) soon.
Posted on March 9, 2012, in Animals, FAQ Friday, Pet Information, Pets, The Animal Store and tagged Black Bear hamsters, Hamsters, Roborovski Hamsters, Siberian hamsters, Syrian Hamsters. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.